Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Site Visit!

July 22


This past week, instead of our strict regimen of language and cross-cultural training, all 15 of the SED (small enterprise development) people dispersed across the country to visit their future posts. For some, that meant traveling for 2-3 days to the Extreme North, only to stay for 2 days and turn right around and come back home. For others, the trip was shorter (I only had to travel for 45 minutes!). That means that I had ample opportunity to familiarize myself with the town, and of course, to be awkward at my future place of employment.

My counterpart is the ST (Secretary/Treasurer) of one of the MC²s in tow, which is highest position at the bank. There have already been two other SED volunteers at this post, and I am already being constantly compared to them. I foresee my biggest problem to be the meeting and understanding of expectations between my counterpart and I. He did not seem happy that the previous volunteer had initially spent a lot of time in the bank, and then chose to pursue other projects. However, choosing to do something like that is perfectly in line with Peace Corps policies. SED is very flexible, and projects really depend on the needs of the community and the skills of the volunteer. It has already been a blast trying to explain that to my counterpart, while trying to be as vague as possible about what I will actually do myself. I don’t want to promise something I can’t deliver, and I definitely need some time to assess the situation.

I stayed with a current education volunteer, and my future post-mate. I think that we will get along well and have frequent movie nights. The way that she had organized and decorated her house made me eager to move into mine. I also had the chance to visit my future apartment. It is the top floor of an apartment building just off of the main street. It is directly above a radio station which actually uses egg crates to stifle the broadcasts, which apparently start at 5:30 and are not all that stifled. The apartment itself is worth it, however, with three bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom, balcony, and exclusive roof access with an amazing view. Score! The previous SED volunteer lived there, and only just moved out in May, leaving his best Cameroonian friend to house-sit and everything almost like he hadn’t left for good (pictures of him taped to the wall, a pile of papers on the table). Fortunately, that means that I can buy all of his furniture (although some of it isn’t exactly my taste…)

After a few days at my post, I decided to take advantage of my extra time and visit another SED volunteer in the provincial capital, which is conveniently located about and hour away by tippy, raggedy, 15-person van jammed full of 20 people. I was unfortunately smashed next to a creepy older man with an abscess on the same hand he kept “accidentally” rubbing against my knee. I was ready to punch him. Luckily, he didn’t travel the whole way, and the other guy next to me ended up being as helpful as the other was creepy. I was proud that I maneuvered everything by myself. I’m a big girl now.

I’ve also decided that my new, favorite form of transportation is the moto. If only my helmet were collapsible.

We all made our way back to the training village today, in time to avoid possible unrest associated with the elections tomorrow. Back to the grindstone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is an MC2? The other volunteer may have made a mistake by spending too much time in the bank and leaving for the other projects. What is the program? Is it a USIAD program through Peace Corps? Loans? Most of these are run through USAID and checked by their people. The other programs may actually be the goal and the job at the bank is an excuse for them. Choosing to go to the bank daily may be the mistake.

The previous PCVs sound like they did a good job. The other projects they worked on were not liked by the bank? What type of bank and is it new or has it recently been recreated by USAID financing? What are the needs of the community? Loan programs for new roofs or toilets? The epxtations at the bank for a new USAID loan programs administered through them or other projects outside the bank? Do you have a history in loans or loan programs that you can use to sponsor new loan programs or are you more comfortable working outside the bank with small business or other secondary projects. USAID or other groups doing anything new with banks in country or are their other programs the bank might qualify for?

You also have a moto that can be used for inspecting loan programs and the use of the money. You can also go outside yoor area to see where the bank can be used, if that bank has no branches. If the bank has branches, what is the working relationship you will have with them? If you plan on working with other banks and programs related to banking, what should be the expectations of the employees at the bank you work at? My counter part was promoted outside the coop bank to the head bank in that area. He administered the program. Maybe the employees are wondering if they will be promoted to the head bank for the area? You have a moto and will probably be working with other banks the counter part knows. This may be where he is going to be promoted? The moto offers alot of freedom for what? Is it to inspect loan programs or work with other banks or bank branches? Most of this an be done through the counterparts. Why the moto?

It sounds like a great oportunity depending on what the bank has available for the locals and whether that can be increased by the PCV. Good luck with the moto, be careful. Alot of PCVs get hurt on those and tha's why they don't just give them out without a very specfic reason. I was as far away from the city as one could get and was not allowed a moto in SBD at a local coop administering funds for housing imporvement. Be careful witht he moto.

RPCV